Zenzele Technolgoy Demonstration Centre is based in an office and laboratory complex at Mintek in Randburg, and it provides technical and research support to small-scale mining and mineral-related enterprises.
With the aim of nurturing accelerated growth, skills development, job creation and assisting enterprises to successfully compete in their markets, Zenzele provides a range of services to smallscale miners across South Africa.
This includes the following:
- An easily accessible Centre that provides technology and services appropriate to the needs of small-scale miners;
- A system to assist in the access of finance for the leasing or purchasing of improved equipment by clients;
- Technological input to allow the development of new small mining projects;
- Access to marketing channels for mining products;
- Equip emerging entrepreneurs with the necessary technical and business skills so as to successfully manage their enterprises.
- Directly assist emerging entrepreneurs during the infancy stage of entering the small scale mining industry;
- Provide the necessary technical and other support in setting up mineral value adding (beneficiation) enterprises.
Established in 2002, Zenzele has already become involved in a number of initiatives aimed at improving the performance of existing small-scale miners in terms of efficiency and profitability.
These are widespread and areas accessed by Zenzele include Mpumalanga, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, the Northern Cape, the Free State and the Northern Province.
Processes associated with commodities such as gold, diamonds, copper, coal, various industrial minerals including clays, feldspar and mica as well as dimension and ornamental stones are currently in progress. In addition, Zenzele TDC encourages and supports artisanal and small-scale mining in South Africa by demonstrating appropriate, safe, and environmentally benign technologies for mineral benefication.
Services include the review and improvement of existing processes, the assessment of the viability of new projects and the supply of basic testing services. The Centre also hosts workshops and seminars and assesses likely mineral deposits for small-scale exploitation.
Zenzele also facilitates and assists in the production of added value products from primary mineral products, such as jewellery, household articles and decorative items that are produced by communities across the country.